b

Monday, March 07, 2005

Back to Letnica

Last week I had a chance to go back to Letnica, the place I visited my first day here. This time it was with the lieutenant who 'owns' the village so I got to see how he does business and meet some new people. He took me to the top of a hill that overlooks Letnica to see another village. This is the view back down into the valley. (Towards the right is the Church of the Black Madonna)

On the way back down the hill we walked past a few buildings along a river that took advantage of the water power.


This man came out of the building in the previous picture and invited us in. He demonstrated how he ground grain using a mill powered by the water that flows below his shop. (I couldn't get a better picture with all the dust floating in the room.)


On the way back we stopped at the coffee shop we always stop at. The coffee shop owner is very friendly and a lot of fun to talk to, but in every picture he looks depressed. The picture above my head is of Gjergj Kastrioti. He's a heroic warrior from the 1400's who defended Christianity from the Muslims. The Albanians still consider him a hero even though they themselves have now converted to Islam. ***EDIT: The Kastrioti information I published above was told to me by an Albanian Kosovar. I didn't double-check the facts and have periodically been receiving comments that support or conflict with what I printed. I didn't intentionally print anything false and appreciate the feedback. However the comments below should provide more resources for you to learn more. I will be closing the comments at this time. Thanks. END OF EDIT***

9 Comments:

At 3/08/2005 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am there with you. Thank you for all the information about this country. It is very interesting. I check in with you once a week
Lillan

 
At 3/09/2005 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Lillan. I've enjoyed meeting new people and seeing new places... and then being able to share with the rest of you.
Jim

 
At 3/12/2005 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jimmy,
So interesting. Are there any organizations sending school supplies for the children?
Julie

 
At 3/13/2005 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think word's out and we'll be getting boxes from schools, churches and other organizations from home soon.

 
At 6/19/2006 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great pics, i lived in the rooms under the church for 7 months back in the winter of 99, protecting it and the village from religious persecution during the war, was a great community then and seems to be even more so now...

 
At 8/17/2007 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gjorgj Kastrioti was not defending Christianity from Muslims, 'cause himself was a Muslim too.

 
At 8/17/2007 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the clarification on Kastrioti. I didn't double-check what had been told to me.
Thanks, Jim

 
At 7/22/2008 7:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Gjergj Kastrioti did not deffent Christians from Muslums, but he defended albanian from Turkish people.That is kinda diferent. The war wasn't religions at all, it was country with another country.

 
At 8/19/2008 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gjergj Kastrioti and his entire family were Christians (Roman Catholic).

The Europeans/Vatican gave him the following title for his battles victories against the Ottoman Empire(turks):

"Defender of Christianity"

It will be appreciated that before posting online you do some research so you can get your facts straight.

Thank you.

(For reference, see attached link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skanderbeg)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home